Tuesday, 24 May 2016

space in space, weekends in the sun


Here's an outfit I wore earlier this week for another day spent in my room writing essays. I have 5000 words due this week, and I handed in the first 2500 this morning. I've been trying to dress as comfortably as I can recently. These photos were taken outside halls by Ethan. It's really nice here when the weather's warm. There's lots of grass and trees and a large pond that everyone sat around having barbecues a couple of weeks ago before exam/deadline stress set in.

It feels quite surreal that first year of uni is almost over. Next year the work will count towards my degree, everyone will be living a bit further away from each other and I'll be living in a house instead of halls. It will be different but I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to summer, as I'm going to Latitude (my first proper festival), coming back to Sheffield for Tramlines and going to Costa Rica. It'll be a nice break and I'm looking forward to have more time for writing, reading what I want to read and getting some sort of regular sleeping pattern. 


My dungarees are from Urban Outfitters, shirt is thrifted, choker is from eBay, necklace from Accessorize, tights from M&S and shoes from Doc Martens. The shirt is size 18 and most of the buttons have come off so I have to tie it together when I wear it now but I love how floaty it is.

I love my dungarees. I've had them for years. I just have to make sure I style them well and add the right accessories so I don't look like a 5 year-old. 


This morning I handed in my essay on women in poetry. I wrote about Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath and how the patriarchy, marriage and feminity influence their poetry. It was a really interesting essay to research.


I've also been reading Sylvia Plath's journals on and off since January. One of my favourite parts is when she describes her frustration about not being able to do everything she wants in life for there is not enough time, "I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life." I hope to live as many different lives as possible and experience as much as I can.

I also love the way she writes about her writing and her desire to write. I'm going to make time to write more this summer. I've experience so much since last summer that I have a lot to work with. I'm doing two creative writing modules next year so I plan to prepare for them.


Last weekend I watched Clueless at Leadmill; it felt like I was watching it for the first time again seeing it on a big screen. It's one of my favourite films and I never get bored of rewatching it. The atmosphere at the venue made it even better. There were pink candles, pink cocktails, candy necklaces, popcorn, candyfloss and free glitter tattoos. 


Lastly, if you haven't watched Metronomy's video for Old Skool yet, you need to watch it. Here are some of my favourite shots if you're not convinced:


It's so suburban yet glam: like Palo Alto meets the Gucci's SS16 campaign.


Also, if you haven't seen Tiger Love's Space in Space video yet you should. It's very nsfw but yay celebration of female sexuality and Aliyah Galyautdinova is an absolute babe forever.


Hope you have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...