Friday, 10 July 2015

your kiss was almost gold






Gold is underrated in fashion. It is omnipresent in accessories and it comes up in every Dolce and Gabbana collection, but often it comes across as too striking and overpowering for everyday wear. It is the most majestic colour, but many of us are scared to wear it. It is true that it can be tacky, but it can also be powerful and glamorous. My renewed appreciation for gold started from my obsession with how beautiful the sun looks when it's setting this time of year. My bedroom windows face the west so the yellow light always spills into my room in the evening. There was also a lot of gold worn at the Met Ball this year, by Natasha Poly and Anne Hathaway. Lastly, the backstage photos of Moschino Spring/Summer 2016 menswear I saw for the first time in Ellie's post were the most recent spark. I know, I know, I still dislike Moschino and the collection itself was a mess but there were some acceptable looks and the baroque inspiration was on point.






In their Autumn/Winter 2015 collection Dolce and Gabbana integrated gold in subtle accessories. This is a safe way to wear gold, but the colour opens itself up to be made from myriad patterns and materials. Gold does not have to mean intricate embellishments. It is already decadent, so try finding pieces with subtle gold threading or pale gold silk details. Gold has so much history and it says so much. Fundamentally, though, gold is a symbol of wealth and luxury so wearing it can make you feel special and empowered. 







I have been wearing a lot of gold this week. I bought a translucent gold raincoat in Topshop which is fabulous because it adds a gold dusting over the top of whatever outfit I am wearing. I've also been listening to "My Love Is Cool" by Wolf Alice on repeat. The album's colour scheme is black and gold, so that has also influence my love of gold. "Silk" is my favourite song on the album. It's one of the best songs I've heard this year.

1. Lily-Rose Depp 2. Gustav Klimt 3. Chanel Spring/Summer 2015 4. Romeo and Juliet (2015) 5. Anne-Marie Ziberman 6. Viktor and Rolf Fall 2015 Couture 7. Natasha Poly 8. http://le21eme.com/ 9. Valentino Spring/Summer 2015 10. Burberry Prorsum Autumn/Winter 2015 11. Moschino Spring/Summer 2016 12. Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette 13. Baroque architecture 14. Dolce and Gabbana Autumn/Winter 2012 15. Dolce and Gabbana Autumn/Winter 2013 16. "My Love Is Cool" by Wolf Alice

2 comments:

  1. i love the ethereal vibe of gold, especially in klimt's work. it is definitely underrated and it's a shame it is only really seen in high fashion or the wardrobe of a divorced cougar x

    www.weallscreamforicedreams.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...