Friday, 17 July 2015

the sound's not so sweet






Let's talk about maxi dresses. I LOVE maxi dresses. They can be worn all year round, though I tend to save them for the summer after a bad experience involving a walk on New Year's Day without tights on. Maxis are always on the list of "trends men hate" which is all the more reason to like them, really. They're cool and comfy as well as being a favourite of off-duty models. There are a number of ways to wear a maxi dress. I usually hate "how to wear posts" because they tend to tell you what you could figure out for yourself, but I bought the maxi dress in this post from Miss Selfridge last week and decided to experiment with what to wear with it. Below are ten different ways to wear a maxi dress. I kept most of them quite simple because summer has got me into a minimal accessories mindset because it's too hot to layer (and I've got to lazy too think about complicated ensembles.) Behold my semi-ironic fashion blogger ode to the versatility of the maxi dress:




10 Ways to Style a Maxi Dress

Everyday


The first look is the one I actually wore this week. It was cool and comfortable, but still edgier than a generic summery maxi dress outfit. The sunglasses add quirkiness, the leather jacket gives it a more punky, effortless appeal and the brogues add a touch of androgyny. This one is my ~natural style, I guess. I wore it to go shopping.

Tough Love


Add a black bag and boots for a practical everyday look. The boots toughen up the dress. The angsty facial expression is optional. I love pairing feminine pieces with tough accessories. This look is an alternative to the baby doll dress and Doc Martens combo.

Athleisure Mum


Trainers give an athleisure appeal. I feel like this is the sort of outfit that I can imagine a new mum wearing. The trainers allow lots of dashing around with a pram and a big bag can hold all the stuff that you need when you have a baby. I imagine that a maxi dress is comfy for a post-pregnancy stomach too. Who needs mom jeans?

Athleisure Upgraded


Still athleisure but white looks slightly smarter. The chunkier style of the trainers makes them stand out. The small brown bag makes the look appear effortless as it breaks up the monochrome and who needs a bag that actually fits all your stuff in it when you can have a tiny impractical one??

Break It Up


I initially bought this ribbon to recreate Patti Smith's look on the cover of "Horses", but it has turned out surprisingly versatile. I can add it to almost any outfit and it serves a variety of purposes. Here it helps to break up the dress and is a more inventive accessory than a jacket. Chunky black sandals are so on trend this summer. I got mine from New Look.

"Welcome to my Twisted Belt"


My belt's too big for me so I decided to tie it round my waist instead. The strap and buckle matches my sandals and that became more visible once I tied the belt instead of wearing it normally. The clutch adds a pop of colour. Colours for Spring? Groundbreaking.

I Stan for Thrifted Suede


This suede jacket that I thrifted for £5 is my go to jacket this summer. If it's colder than it should be at this time of year which, in England, it can be then you can throw on whatever jacket is your default jacket this season.

Smart Casual


Next I styled some more formal looks, which translates as wearing the shoes I wore for leavers ball. Long dresses are classically formal so you can get easily change a comfortable maxi dress day look to a chic evening outfit.

The Garden Party


Add a flower crown for a garden party. I couldn't bring myself to not pose ironically with the flower crown. Flower crowns have become so commercial and now have such a stigma. It's kind of sad because they represented so much at one point, but fashion keeps moving forwards and all that.

Black and White


Add a scarf in a matching colour/pattern for a subtle glamour upgrade. 

Hopefully you're now buzzing with inspiration to get out your maxi dress and try out or these looks. If not, I've heard that culottes are equally man repelling and equally on trend. You can buy the dress in this post here and similar black sandals here. I hope you all have a good weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. Normally I'm not really into maxi dresses, but I think this post might have converted me :p

    http://wondergoth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...