Saturday, 7 March 2015

i'm just a little older

I'm taking a break from this blog for exams. I will be back in June.


Today is the four-year anniversary of this blog! Well done to me for never clicking the "delete" button despite the excruciating embarrassment I feel whenever I scroll through the posts I wrote when I was 13. This will be my last post before exams but I will still be persistently procrastinating on instagram and tumblr. I wrote a short story about magic/witchcraft and teenage friendship for Plasma Dolphin, and that issue will be published on Monday. I couldn't think of anything special to include in this anniversary post so I'm just going to quote Anna Wintour in The September Issue and say this:

"Fashion is not about looking back. It's always about looking forward."

Looking forward is something I have been doing a lot lately as I've been thinking about what university I will go to later on this year. I went to Sheffield earlier this week and I did not take nearly enough photos, but it is a beautiful city with cool vintage shops and cute cafes.

Here is an outfit I wore a couple of weeks ago. The top is from eBay, the jacket is from New Look, the jeans are from Topshop, the shoes are Rocketdog and the jewellery is a culmination of homemade and Claire's pieces I've collected over the years.


From 13-17, I've literally had this blog throughout my teen years. This has a much more weighted significance to me than it would have done 4 years ago. Now that I'm at the tail end of adolescence I'm obsessed with teen culture. However, I still think I'll be happy to personally leave that awkward, weird time of my life behind. And if I ever miss it I have all the evidence here. Who wouldn't want to leave a permanent mark on the internet of their teenage strangeness?!?


I know I said I wouldn't reflect too much in this post, but I would like to thank everyone who reads this blog. Your comments mean so much to me (that sounds trite as hell but hear me out) and have given me much more confidence in my writing and in my outfit choices. If it hadn't been for the response I got to this post about Victoria's Secret I never would have thought to send it to The Daily Mail and then I wouldn't have got published back in December. Since I won't be posting again between now and June I'm going to try and engage in the blogging community a lot more with regards to commenting and ~networking~/friend making.


I haven't actually changed that much since I started blogging. I sorted out my bedroom the other day and found a bunch of old journals. Reading them made me realise that my life has been pretty linear. My interests have expanded, as has my personality but nothing's really changed, I'm just a little older (I've had that song in my head all day I had to fit it in somewhere.) I think that's kind of strange and I can't decide whether it makes me dull or endearing. I don't really know anyone else who has stayed the same as much as I have. I always want to follow things through and go all the way with what I think matters which can sometimes be unhealthy. Sometimes I feel trapped by the identity I've created for myself. I wonder who I would be if I had never been interested in fashion or reading or writing; whether I'd feel happier and more fulfilled or generally more weary with life. One day I want to spend a few months in a small village in the south of France and try to shed away the unnecessary layers and just be.


As well as being on tumblr and instagram for the next few months, I will also be writing for Cherry, Plasma Dolphin and Dynamic.


My favourite collections from Paris Fashion Week so far are Yohji Yamamoto, Maison Margiela, Issey Miyake and Rick Owens

I hope you all have a great few months and I'll be back in June xoxo

18 comments:

  1. Happy blog birthday! Please do not delete your blog! I'm so mad at myself for deleting the Myspace account I had when I was a teenager. I think I deleted a bunch of stuff on Tumblr, too. I would kill to reread all the weird things I posted when I was 15, as embarrassing as they were.

    Also, I agree 100% about Paris Fashion Week. Those are pretty much the only fashion houses I pay attention to after CDG and Junya Watanabe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not going to, don't worry! I can't believe I forgot Junya Watanabe. I adored the CDG collection too <3

      Delete
  2. Good luck with exams - I'm sure you will be fabulous :) And if not, hey ho. Life goes on.

    And happy birthday to you blog, which really is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog anniversary I have never managed to keep a blog for so long as 4 years but I'm hoping that I will this time ! On the other hand I've been keeping diaries since I was very young and I love to look back at them from time to time, I guess this is what it must feel like, except a lot more public. Your writing is so clever and articulate that I forget how young you are ! I'm wishing you good luck with your exams and here's to another 4 years of blogging !

    xo, Charlie
    http://charlieleschroniques.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 The more personal posts are like looking back at old diaries so that's quite nice to be able to do. That's so sweet- thanks again xo

      Delete
  4. Happy blog anniversary and good luck with your exams!!
    Regarding the fact that you don't feel changed, with the years, let me tell that you it's real, you are not changing, but growing. It sounds stupid, I know, but that's what I started to realize after around one year in uni. It doesn't mean to became suddenly a grown up, I don't know when someone is really a "grownup", but at some point you will notice a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aww yeah that makes sense and is a nice way of looking at it <3

      Delete
  5. Happy blog anniversary and good luck with your exam!
    http://fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous outtfit, love those jeans.
    Have a nice day.
    kisses from Mexico city

    xoxo
    www.modacapital-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this jacket, 4 years that dedication :)

    www.isabelwithani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...