Saturday, 17 January 2015

i love the passing of time







I've been obsessed with details lately; patterns, materials, minute embellishments. Nuanced subtleties that make up some larger piece or idea. There is always so much going on that it never seems productive to stare at something until each component making it what it is separates itself in your mind and in your eyes. Luckily style.com do it for us as far as our sartorial concerns over delicately detailed high fashion collections go. I do think it's important to find time to look closely at the sky and the trees too; to notice the little things that we overlook day to day. The same thing goes with noticing small habits and affectations that we and the people around us have. In these photographs I initially wanted some pretty angles of my clothes and I hoped that my nails wouldn't feature in any of them because I painted them last weekend and now they're all chipped, but as I was taking the photos I realised that what I wanted to capture was all the details, not just the most aesthetically pleasing ones (not my face though- I've been revising for mocks and I look like I'm on hard drugs even though I've been living off left over Christmas chocolates and green tea.)




I've been thinking a lot about Petra Collins' "She Woke Up Like This" series for The Cut. Over the past six months I've come to look at photographs of me not as "good" or "bad", "pretty" or "ugly", "thin" or "fat", but just as photos of me. People I hang out with see me from all different angles so why shouldn't photographs represent that?  It's a difficult concept to come to terms with, no less because I've been buying fashion magazines that promote an ideal notion of beauty for the past five years.  Having Antonio photograph me has helped a lot with this process because his inspiration recently has mostly been about capturing people in their natural environment and how they would naturally be looking and acting. Though I really enjoyed the shoot we did for my zine last summer, which was something completely different, it is easier to come to terms with real life when you turn it into art.







I was thinking about how much my American Apparel poloneck crop looks cosmic and how I was obsessed with stars and space this time last year. Coincidently today is the exact day a year ago that I posted about it.




Beautiful Fashion Details


Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 2014


Dior Couture Fall 2007


Maison Martin Margiela Couture Fall 2013


Marchesa Spring/Summer 2015

See also...patterns at Burberry Fall 2015 menswear, embellishment details at Maison Martin Margiela Spring 2015 couture.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Last week my blog post was featured in Independent Fashion Blogger's Links a la Mode. You can see the full list of posts selected below:

lalam0115

Real Style Essentials

What do you really need for good style? The answer could be, "More clothes." But we know better. It's about knowing what you wear. It's about finding your self, not your clothing self, but your real self. It's about taking care of yourself. It's about feeling good in your own skin. This week's roundup is about the real essentials you need to be stylish. Whether it be your skin, what's under that skin, or what you're wearing to cover it.

Links à la Mode: January 15th

SPONSOR: shop bop Tory Totes, Skarlett blue, Lotta Stensson, Del Mar, IKII, Loyd Ford, English Factory, Valia Gabriel, Hender Scheme, The Laundry Room & Minimale Animale

Want to be featured in Links à la Mode?

1. Read the clarified rules and submit your links on this page: Links à la Mode. 2. If your link was selected and you need this week’s code, visit this page: Links à la Mode Code.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...