Saturday, 1 November 2014

the sun upon the roof in winter will draw you out like a flower


I can't believe that it will be November by the time this is posted. November feels like the end of autumn and the start of winter, which I am both happy and sad about. I prefer the appearance of autumn, with all the oranges and reds. Once winter arrives, everyday really is like Sunday. I will have to really reorganise my wardrobe when I return from Portugal. I think I'll be okay though, given that I currently have two big drawers full of jumpers. These photos are way, way back in the summer, which now seems like a hazy blur. The hairband was a gift, the sunglasses are from Primark, the bracelet is from Next, the necklace is diy'd, the dress (worn as a top) is thrifted, the skirt is Topshop, the socks are M&S and the shoes are Rocketdog.
On the last Thursday of the school term, Meg Rosoff, author of How I Live Now came to my school to give a talk. She was a really powerful and amusing speaker, speaking for non-stop for an hour without boring me at all, unlike the people who come in to talk about student finance. The talk was really inspiring and I think that some of the things that she talked about will really help me with my own writing. I got my copy of "What I Was" signed and got to talk to her briefly about my own writing. I plan to read "What I Was" on holiday.


One thing that has stayed with me most from the talk is this idea that we all have a sort of colander in our brains that separates the boring and the mundane from the memories and other things that stay with us. It is the things that we decide to keep in our metaphorical colander that make us different and those things are the things we feel the need to write about. I guess I've stored that colander analogy in my colander.
I hope you are all having a good weekend. 

7 comments:

  1. I love those sunglasses!! You have a great fashion style! I love your blog and followed you !! :)

    www.michellebeltre.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely styled!

    http://fridaynightstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. new favorite blog :) followed

    http://thelittleblackflowerfairy.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this outfit!! I agree I love the color scheme of fall.

    styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...