Thursday, 4 September 2014

heart ny

New York Fashion Week has me so starry eyed this season. To celebrate its start I have compiled a list of what I think of when I think of New York. Despite my cynicism over New York Fashion Week last season, there is so much that is promisingly otherworldly about the Big Apple. This is what I dream of when I dream of The City:

1. The Velvet Underground

...And Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick etc. That edgy cool that epitomised the underground scene of the 1960s. The Velvets coined the hipper than thou leather jacket and dark sunglasses look and Edie Sedgwick's enigmatically iconic style still spawns boundless inspiration for designers today. The cultural influence of this time and place cannot be underestimated. A quick search of "The Velvet Underground" on style.com achieves masses of results from Dior couture 2005 to Ruby Jean Wilson as the living embodiment of Edie at Marc Jacob's Spring 2013 RTW. The Velvet Underground and the people surrounding them infiltrated deep into our culture and that won't be going away any time soon.

Marc Jacobs Spring 2013, Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2012

2. Vogue

American Vogue is so steeped in history that even someone with merely a casual interest in fashion would associate the magazine with NYC. That scene in "The Devil Wears Prada" where Andy is walking through the city and her outfits change is what I dream about. If/when I work at Vogue, this is what I would/will wear:

Chanel Resort 2015, Balenciaga Pre-Fall 2014

3. "Just Kids"
Around the same time as The Velvet Underground et al, Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe were residing in the Chelsea Hotel. Struggling artists trying to be heard in the Big City, they both rocked a kind of relaxed punk look. However, this sense of throwing things together has become quite a refined kind of beatnik aesthetic. Patti Smiths 1973 debut "Horses" is notable for the cover art in which Patti sports an androgynous oversized suit. It was then that she, unknowingly, created her status as fashion icon.

Undercover Fall 2004, Paul Smith Fall 2011

4. Bill Cunningham
If the 2010 documentary "Bill Cunningham New York" had been titled "Bill Cunningham's New York", it wouldn't have been far from the truth. Bill Cunningham is THE original street style photographer. In my tendency to romanticise cities I have never visited, I imagine that he is hiding round every corner, wearing his blue raincoat, balanced on his bike, camera ready...

DKNY Spring 2014, ZAC Zac Posen Spring 2015

5. The Jazz Age
1920s New York would have been A M A Z I N G. The speakeasies, the flappers, the glitter, the presence of Diana Vreeland, the jazz. The '20s are one of the most fruitful decades for style inspiration. It was the first decade to see womenswear fully liberated from gowns and corsets. In their place was a more practically elegant style of dress popularised by Coco Chanel and speakeasy flappers.

Badgley Mischka Spring 2014, Gucci Spring 2012

More fashion month posts to come...

3 comments:

  1. Lovely blog!

    I am following you on gfc, would you like to follow me back so we can stay in touch?

    http://mypetitecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...