Sunday, 10 August 2014

edge of seventeen

Today was my seventeenth birthday. It's weird because I do actually feel older. Like I'm at risk of becoming boring and mature...weird...because I know that I won't become any more mature. However, I do feel wiser than I did last year as I sat in the car on the way home from seeing Patti Smith (just name dropping don't mind me) and I feel a lot more emotionally mature. I have lots to write about that, but I'm going to put it in the Eighties and Enlightenment issue of Pretty.



(Drawings by Antonio) Seventeen year old me partying in my CocoMadeMe t-shirt and American Apparel tennis skirt ft Lorde screeching (beautifully, I'm  sure) (but she looks kind of like a bird) (sorry Antonio) in the background.


 Matt Hitt was too tall to fit on the card.



The whole gang (left to right): Lorde, me, Morrissey, Antonio, Matt Hitt, Grace Coddington, Anna Wintour and Patti Smith.




Antonio and I made a tiramisu then he nicknamed it "teenamisu" (because if you don't nickname homemade desserts then you're living your life WRONG) and my mum was like "why are you calling it Tina???"

This morning was kind of a rush because my mum woke me up 30 minutes before we needed to leave for the facial that we had booked. I was tired because I always wake up super early on my birthday so was up from 4-5am trying to fall back asleep. I put together some of my favourite items today. Ilovestonefox sunglasses, Topshop t-shirt, Debenhams cape cardigan, New Look skirt, M&S tights and Rocketdog shoes. 




I got these sunglasses for my birthday and I adore them. I saw them on Charlie Barker at the height of my sunglasses obsession in June and was like "muuuuuummm" and she was like "ok, but for your birthday" and now I have them!! I had a dream after ordering them where I was telling everyone how cool they were but when they arrived they were like a plastic box that covered my whole face. I woke up regretting ordering them, but thankfully, they look acceptable. 
Pictures by my mum outside the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition at the Barbican. It was absolutely fantastic and I still cannot believe I've been in the same room as pieces such as this:



and this:


The exhibition is on until the 25th August and you should definitely go if you can.

I've always thought of seventeen as a bit of a weird inbetween age. Perhaps it's because I just prefer the sound of even numbers or perhaps it's because it means that I am even closer to eighteen year old privileges, but they are still out of reach. Also, I feel like I should have done a lot more than I have with my teen years. Realistically I didn't think it would all be road trips and rebellion but it could have been a bit more exciting. They're not over yet and more could still happen, but I think I'll dedicate this year to capturing moments and vibes because I realised the other day that next month is the last time I ever go ~back to school in the Autumn. I cannot wait to leave school but it is sometimes sad to think of life without it, like it is with anything that has been a part of you for so long. 



The sunglasses again.
I'm going to go to sleep now because although I am still young an invincible I'm also very lazy and teen and need to prep for watching the DVDs I got for my birthday back to back in the morning.

10 comments:

  1. I love the skirt w those tights!
    http://happydayscalilife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Hope it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm actually laughing out loud at the drawings and the teenamisu/tina confusion ahhaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm actually laughing outloud because you stalked my blog back to august ahahaha

      jk ily xoxo

      Delete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...