Tuesday, 12 August 2014

bubblegum pop dreams









Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Drew Barrymore, Mean Girls, Hilary Duff, Brooke Shields, Cameron Diaz and Mean Girls.
These pictures were the inspiration for my outfit on Monday because I love the kitschy, tacky look of the nineties and noughties at the moment. The whole nineties normcore revival can be seen in some of the above looks but an uber pink girly version. The noughties are generally seen as a time when fashion went downhill and, for the most part, that is correct, but there is a place for it. I've been getting back into the celebrity culture obsession that I felt last summer after watching The Bling Ring. I think it's because I've been playing Kim K Hollywood, watching #RichKidsOfBeverlyHills and listening to Kanye West. Searching my wardrobe for pink clothes, I only own over the top babydoll Meadham Kirchhoff-esque frilly pink things so my outfit ended up a little different to the looks that inspired it. Sunglasses from Primark, shirt from Meadham Kirchhoff for Topshop, thrifted dress (worn as skirt), tights were a gift, shoes from Rocketdog.

Dressing like this feels a lot more purposeful then how I've been dressing lately. I used to feel pressure to have a huge cultural context attached to every outfit I wear and to try to make it so different to what other people are wearing. Lately I've been dressing more casually but also more sophisticated and stereotypically fashiony. I just LOVE normcore. I'm going to write about it in the next issue of my zine and I'll post the article on here too.
I love wearing things that feel well-made and look really intricate and delicate. I'm sure that everyone does, as it feels luxurious and the closest that most people get to wearing couture. 



4 comments:

  1. Nice outfit dude

    remarkableramblings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This outfit is amazing! I really love the tights! I find myself either wanting to dress more scandinavian chic or than completely frilly...

    http://happydayscalilife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. i either wanna go completely minimalist or over the top girly girl most days ahaha :')

      Delete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...