Friday, 4 July 2014

hope i die because of it

I’ve always found it difficult to channel just one aesthetic for a period of any longer than two or three days. However, the “My Generation” shoot in the latest issue of i-D will stay in my mind for a long time into the future. Edie Campbell is possibly my favourite model and she plays the part so divinely. I just wanna be a sixties punky rebel girl now. The gritty British vibe is suited perfectly to the aesthetic that I am constantly nostalgic over and each outfit is so gorgeously put together. The video below shows the shoot in full: 




A real narrative is created through the images. It think the main theme conveyed is one of teen boredom, but with a 50 year old aesthetic (as in the style 50 years old, not a 50 year-old teenager.) Edie seems like a rebellious sort of character who is trying to make her way through a small-minded town but ends up just feeling bored. Some of these images are from the shoot and some just have similar vibes: 

This reminds me of when I used to walk with my cousin around the suburban town where my grandma lives and we would pass all these garages and everything seemed very stale and mundane but in a beautiful way.

Pre-Factory makeover Edie Sedgwick. These remind me of the vibes of the "My Generation" shoot because they're right before the start of something big.

 From "Do You Remember The First Time?” shoot featuring The Virgin Suicide cast by Sofia Coppola and Corinne Day

 The scenes near the beginning of Factory Girl where Edie is hanging out in her new New York apartment, talking to people on the phone and smoking and looking beautiful.This generally has less of a British vibe because there is a big emphasis on the fact that it is in New York, but similar themes and styles are conveyed nonetheless.

Another gem from the "My Generation" shoot.



Another aesthetic I've been channelling a lot recently is a kind of pretty, androgynous French boy look, which basically translates to striped tops and rolled up trousers plus black coffee and Francoise Hardy. I was mostly inspired by the song "Christian Dior" by Morrissey and the line "you could've run wild on the backstreets of Lyon or Marseille reckless and legless and stoned, impregnated women and kissing mad street boys from the Napoli who couldn't even spell their own name" and the bridge "I could've run loudly and proudly on forcible entry, morally bankrupt and never non-violent and drawn to what scares me and scared of what bores me." Idk, you can listen to the song yourself, but I recited both of those lines to my friend at lunch the other day when we were talking about how it feels like we're wasting our lives by doing nothing adventurous at the moment. Here are some images that evoke this kind of feeling:

 Yohji Yamamoto's Spring/Summer 2013 collection is one of my favourite menswear collections ever. The clothes look expensive and well-made but the bagginess adds to the roughed-up nature created through the cuts and bruises on the models' faces.

 
Michael Pitt. Messy lipstick and dead eyes xoxo

 I still don't really know what to make of The Dreamers. It's weirder than I had expected it to be, but having watched it for a second time I appreciate it much more. The whole young people in Paris thing correlates with the vibes of this post.

Morrissey's rockabilly phase in the '90s is EVERYTHING. The way the band skips across the stage at the 1991 Dallas performance is just WOAH. Anyway the quiffs and rolled up jeans look is lovely.

I NEED TO SEE KILL YOUR DARLINGS SO BAD!!!

 ~All black everything~

"Pretty Petty Thief" shoot in my zine (more on that below!!)

 Rhode Island 1957. I want my summer to be like this.

In other newsssssss: my zine is now available on etsy!!!!!! Below are some published and unpublished previews:




 


You can now purchase it in either PDF form or hard copy here: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/PPrettyFFashions

8 comments:

  1. I love those Yohji designs! Maybe with the messy red lipstick, that'd look cool. I've been wanting to adopt that look but it's been too hot where I live. Maybe for fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree with you on the Yohji collection being paired with lipstickined that that was what it was actually like in my head when I was trying to refind the images. I think that a bright pink messy lipstick would look good and together it would clash with the traditional masculinity represented through the cuts and bruises xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this post it really resonates with me. i jump from aesthetic to aesthetic and at the moment i cant get enough of 1950's girl gang vibes, meets suburban rebellion, boredom, and teenage grandma vibes . Yohji Yamamato makes great designs. Kill Your Darlings looks amazing and i need to watch Factory Girl! Morrisey is everything

    styleriottt.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 Factory Girl is fantastic. It's very moving and difficult to watch at times but Sienna Miller plays Edie brilliantly and the costumes are wonderful. You're right about Morrissey xoxo

      Delete
  3. The zine looks amazing!! Especially the 'Thief' shoot. It feels so cool to have that little pic in there :) Loving the grimy punk aesthetic - sometimes pretty just doesn't do it; you need bashed up, messy, slept-in, street gang chic xx

    www.hellopookie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree. I think that pretty things are often more about escapism whereas the grittier looks are more realistic; not necassarily aesthetically but how people feel and the situations they're in. I think it's important that fashion acknowlegdes both those states. Idk that probably just sounded like a load of pretentious crap xoxo

      Delete
    2. nonono it's interesting, not pretentious! Though I would definitely say that gritty looks can be escapist too - they can give you a sense of adventure and allow you to play up a character who's more exciting, tougher than you (similar to how children have pretend sword fights and relish showing off their cuts and bruises) Ya get me? Xx

      Delete
    3. ahaha thanks :') oh yes i get what you mean. like i said in this post about the lyrics from "Christian Dior" by Morrissey; that sort of lifestyle appeals to me but i'll end up having "wasted my life" as Morrissey accuses both Dior and himself of doing. however, i think gritty looks always seem more anti-establishment and less bourgeousie even though big brands have started adapting them much more. it makes fashion seem more inclusive and accessible and highlights the fact that you don't necassarily need to be overly aware of how your dressing to make a contribution to fashion xoxo

      Delete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...