Thursday, 17 April 2014

i take my aim and i fake my words, i'm just your long time curse


This is the outfit that I wore on the last day of term. I threw it together with a sort of grannyish, neutral theme in mind but didn't give it much thought. I wasn't planning on photographing it until I bumped into Antonio on the way to school and he said he'd seen my Tweet about how I wanted to start dressing weirder for school and he could tell. That wasn't exactly what he said because I just made him sound really mean but I cannot remember his exact words. Anyway, it was a compliment and comments like that are indicative of whether or not I should post said outfits on here.


I am wearing a cardigan from Warehouse,  necklace from Primark, shirt from H&M, thrifted skirt and boots from Boohoo. I tend to look forward to the last day of term because in the past it has meant Easter eggs being handed round, a more relaxed attitude in lessons and an excited atmosphere. However, this year there was none of that and I had double history in the afternoon. Ew. All the teachers were like 'have a nice holiday jk looolll have a nice time revising.'


I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with my hair in the above photo but I thought I'd ~mix it up a little. Someone said to me like 2 years ago that they can always tell it's me in an outfit photo because I'm always doing the hand-on-hip-leg-out-eye-down pose. I still do that pose all the time.


And here I look like a lifelong heroin addict wahey. It was the end of term and that is also responsible for the disgusted facial expression. I haven't gotten any less tired since the end of term. I've been lying in but staying up late and spending the days revising. Yesterday I got up early to go to a spinning class at the gym then I took my dog for a walk and later went for afternoon tea with my mum and my grandma. It was lovely. I have some photographs of the tea room and the tea itself on my Instagram. I swear I have never drunk so much  jasmine tea in such a short amount of time in my life.


When I think of wearing neutral colours I think of Ellie of Rose And Vintage. Her blog is one of my favourites. Here are some of my favourite neutral outfits of hers that I'm certain I was semi-consciously inspired by:


Leopard jacket alert!! I still adore leopard print coats and jackets (mostly because of Miss Edie Sedgwick.) I love how well coordinated this outfit is. The dark brown loafers are gorgeous, especially with cute ruffle socks.


My favourite part of this outfit is the embellished waistcoat. It finishes off the look perfectly, making it much more interesting.


This look is quite preppy. It is quite similar to the sort of outfit that I would wear to school. The oversized tweed blazer adds a touch of masculinity that is balanced out by the cute socks. I love jackets that are a few sizes too big because they always manage to look so carefree. It also looks like a boyfriend has draped it over you to keep you warm which makes me think of cute high school '60s couples like in Grease or something similar. Black trousers always look so much better when they are rolled up. It adds more shape and draws attention to shoes and socks.


This outfit is very gold. Again, the coordinating is fantastic. The textures of the materials look fascinating. They blend well into each other.


This outfit is slightly brighter than the others. White tights are something that is on my wishlist. I think that they will work well for colder summer days. Plus white goes with everything so it looks fab with patterns, like in Ellie's outfit here. The print on the cardigan is lovely. I like how the cardigan pattern is repeated but the pattern on the shorts is more random. It creates an aesthetically pleasing contrast.

I rarely write posts featuring two of my outfits but the outfit that I wore today fits with the theme of this post. Today I was sartorially inspired by Ellie more consciously this time, as I started this post last night.


Today was probably the least productive day of the holidays so far.  However, I did finish reading Bob Dylan Chronicles: Volume 1. I spent most of the day sitting on my bed listening to records and revising in a half asleep state. I keep drinking the ink from my pen and I'm balancing history books up on my head. I went into town and purchased A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby and Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant.


I recently made a playlist for this month. It's quite long so I haven't written out the tracklisting this time but it's pretty typical of me (The Smiths, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Bright Eyes, The Beatles, David Bowie etc.)


15 comments:

  1. beautiful!
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these outfits! school, urgh. I feel your pain .xx

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the blogging community interacting (blurgh, what dry language for such a beautiful thing) :) Plus, you're outfit is so beautiful my darling

    theirfancies.blogpost.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these outfits are wonderful!
    xo
    http://lilliputianlilac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your boots! and your coat in the last outfit is awesome x
    www.thefrillseekers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your outfits!

    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the first outfit picture you posted of Ellie too! I typically don't go for the types of neutrals she wears, but the way she dresses really makes me want to experiment with beige and creams which is a really weird thing for me to want to do. Also, I think your sweater from the first outfit would look really good with your tartan skirt from the second outfit. The waffle texture of the sweater and the geometric plaid would mirror each other really nicely.

    Glitterous Clitoris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she does manage to make neutrals much more creative than they are typically perceived to be. I've actually worn the skirt and sweater together before! It gives the outfit a kind of granny-ish vibe. I'll post it next time I wear it. Thanks for the advice <3

      Delete
  8. All of these vintage inspired outfits are so funky and chic! I love how you've combined the items for such authentic looks! :))
    And thanks for coming along to my blogs giveaway!

    Lu, www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...