Monday, 7 January 2013

Hollyworld

I've spent some time this week redrafting Hollyworld, the novel I've been working on. It is a dystopian story set mostly in a parallel universe where everything centres around fashion and celebrity culture. If anyone wants a printed off manuscript of Hollyworld I will mail it to them if they live in the UK and if not then I will email a PDF but it’s quite long and, although many have tried, it is difficult to read off of a computer screen. I will happily trade for a zine/piece of art/short story with anyone who would like to. If you're interested, please email me at sophie.wilson09a@hotmail.co.uk. I will create a collage cover and maybe do some illustrations to make it more interesting and pretty to photograph if I get any replies to this post.

You can read the blurb and first chapter of Hollyworld here.

Likewise you can read the blurb and first chapter of its sequel here.

Read an excerpt below: 

“Gemma went outside on her own, to get some fresh air. She sat on a bench and looked up to the sky. The skies were cloudy, unlike the perfect, clear skies of Hollyworld, so you could not see the stars but Gemma thought of the people who could be up there or in Hollyworld. She even allowed herself to think of Robbie just one last time. She thought deeply about everyone and everything. She thought so deeply that, just minutes later, she realised her eyes had tears in them. Gemma wiped her eyes and laughed. Then she cried and cried. She cried for everyone and everything. She cried for life and death; for love and loss; for Earth and Hollyworld. Then she let it all go. Just like that, her memories began to fade. She made a promise to herself that she would never think about Hollyworld again. She let out a sigh. The condensation from her breath on that cold night floated away into the night air along with all her memories. Up, up and away; into the stars, into Hollyworld.”

Yesterday I FINALLY made a flower crown. I'm going to wear it all the time from now on and I think I'm going to make some more because now I've done it I know how quick and easy it is. I used a mini glue gun to stick fake flowers along the hair band. Then I added some miniature dolls that I cut off from  a hair band that my grandparents brought back for me from their holiday in Russia. The hair band with the dolls on was too small anyway so I thought I would turn it into something else. This is my first DIY of the year. 51 more to go.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks <3 I want to buy some actual black lipstick because in these photos I'm just wearing liquid eye liner... :/ x

    ReplyDelete

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...