Saturday, 26 January 2013

If I Were a Boy {An Ode to Tomboys}

Androgynous Icons


Coco Chanel


Of course, Coco is my favourite style icon. She was one of the first women to embrace wearing trousers. In an era where women were expected to wear restricting corsets and skirts that left little room to move around in, Chanel fought against this and wore practical clothing whilst straddling horses at Etienne Balsan's house in what was deemed an unladylike manner. Chanel invited in changes in women's rights and she demonstrated this through her wardrobe choices which is totally awesome because it shows that individually we can all make a difference to the world, one new item of clothing at a time. I think you probably need some intelligence to back it up because otherwise you'll be all like 'I change the world with fashion. Heeeheee' and just reinforcing the fashion bimbo stereotype. The Man Repeller and Rookie as well as all the Rookie inspired blogs are probably the most modern interpretations of this movement. 


Annie Hall


I watched this film because it's always voted one of the most fashionable films of all time. I didn't care much for the plot or the film in general but I love Diane Keaton's outfits as the character of Annie Hall, especially that famous chinos, black waistcoat, navy tie and white shirt combo. 


Freja Beha Erichsen


Freja seems like such a cool, laidback kind of person. Her style is traditional off-duty model. It includes lots of black military style ankle boots, skinny jeans, black biker jackets and plain t-shirts. She is a very androgynous character. Erichsen has done a few topless fashion shoots where the androgynous look is trying to be achieved because she is so flat chested and her brown wavy hair can look kind of Mick Jagger-y. 



If I Were a Boy






Patagonia zip hoodie
£63 - patagonia.com



Guess
zalando.co.uk



T By Alexander Wang leather t shirt
£62 - mytheresa.com



Striped t shirt
fashion-conscience.com



Tweed jacket
zalando.co.uk





Black vest
newlook.com



Barbour wool coat
barbourbymail.co.uk









Dune wingtip shoes
johnlewis.com



TOMS navy espadrille
vanmildert.com



Converse sneaker
£35 - zappos.com



Adidas mini handbag
zalando.co.uk



Snapbacks hat
ebay.co.uk



Harry Potter | Pop Culture
£22 - hottopic.com


Real Guys Whose Style I Admire*

*when I say real guys I mean celebrities/fictional characters/ legends


Ezra Fitz in Pretty Little Liars: The Teacher
Shirts
Waistcoats
Brogues/Loafers
Smart, fitted trousers
Classic novels
Satchels
James Dean: The Rebel
Jeans
T-shirts
Leather jackets
Bomber jackets
Cigarettes
Joseph Gordon Levitt: Classic Style
Neatness
Fitted clothing
Basics
Mixing Patterns
Mixing smart and casual
Good quality
Jack Kerouac: The Beat Generation
Short sleeved shirts
T-shirts
Jeans
Tanned skin
Typewriter
Morrissey: The Musician
Oversized shirts
Jeans
Quiff
Microphone
Flowers
Creating this post made me realise how little I actually know about menswear and male style icons so I am going to make this March Menswear Month. However, I have a French exchange at the end of March so I won't be blogging for two weeks and I will celebrate my blog's 2nd birthday around Easter time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...