Saturday, 28 July 2012

Summer Mani/Pedi

It never feels great to wear sandals without well kept toe nails and it seems strange not to have painted nails in summer. However, I just have not got round to a summer mani/pedi but I decided to get going on my manicure last night before and during the Olympic opening ceremony. I did my pedicure this morning in a bit of a rush so skipped the foot spa bit but if you have more time then follow all the steps below; starting with the manicure:

Step 1) Stick on some music (you could use the summer playlist to the right of this post.)

Step 2) Choose your favourite summer shade. I'm just loving a kind of glacier blue meets mint green in the form of Barry M 'blue moon.'

 Hmm... which one to choose??? I was going to put them in rainbow colour order but then realised that would take up a lot of time when it's really quite a pointless task. I bought a Canon 1100D today so these photographs are looking more dapper than they would be normally. I love it so so much; best early birthday present everrrrrr. SKJDAHBFEWGHEKR. I'm on top of the world right now just thinking about it!!!!!

Aah, I know. I'll choose Barry M 'blue moon.' I bought this just for this summer because this is my favourite summer colour this year. It matches the pastel trend, I have a dress to match and it is so light that it should go with pretty much everything.

Oh, wait, I guess I need to be practical and use a basecoat and topcoat...Or not because both have run out and I can't even open the top because it's got all sticky. Better add clear nail polish to my shopping list. Does anyone recommend any brand in particular? 

Step 3) Aa, aa, aa; do not start painting yet. Give your hands a nice soak in a bowl of warm water to refresh and revitalise. Then file, clip and buff if need be. 

Step 4) Now you can paint them. Remember, base coat, nail polish (1-3 coats; I have to do 3 with this nail polish. Barry M is usually 2 but this is quite a pale colour so three is necessary) then add a top coat so that your favourite colour stays all summer. The Christmas before last I went through a phase of painting my nails every day to match my outfit but then they got yellow tinted because I was always painting them then removing it then painting then removing which can't be any good for your nails. Maybe one day they'll invent a nail polish that changes daily...


Step 5) Use some hand cream to make your clean, painted hands silky smooth et voilĂ  you have a perfect summer manicure. Feel free to do something more adventurous than just one colour. I like doing French manicures with different colours (eg. red tip and orange nail looks a little like a sun set) and last year I tried out some crackle polish but I would not recommend Barry M's crackle polish for it hasn't worked very well for me.

Here's the finished product and some random photos with my nails in that I took on my new camera :))

Pedicure:

Step 1) If you have a proper jacuzzi foot spa then use it but otherwise a tub of hot water is just as adequate. Soak your feet for ten to fifteen minutes. If you have oils to put in then use them. I have mint, rose and lemon and they're all delightful but rose is my favourite. 

Step 2) Choose your colours. I usually have my fingernails and toenails matching but do whatever feels right for you. Follow the same rules as you did for the manicure (base coat, 1-3 coats of polish and top coat.)

Step 3) Use exfoliating scrub on your feet to remove dry skin and to achieve silky smooth sandal ready feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...