Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Inspirational People: Lady Gaga

Tumblr_ljtq3d74vd1qbkx74o1_500_large



Tumblr_le1099sfwt1qemgizo1_500_large
Tumblr_lya2u2rfau1qh7o4ao1_500_large
Tumblr_lvl0a4rus91qdhmkbo1_500_large
Tumblr_lnkcho0dcb1qcxtm5o1_500_largeOutrageous. Courageous. Adventurous. Scandalous. Lady Gaga has all the traits of a style icon that will go down in history. Her outfits are always under scrutiny. Some love them and some hate them but there is no denying that they are brave choices. I like some of her McQueen looks but the meat dress that has now become synonymous with Gaga herself was something that I thought was going a bit too far and I know that I am not the only person who feels that way. It was all over the newspapers and magazines and almost everyone around the globe has heard about it. 


The modern icon shot to fame after her d├ębut studio album, aptly called "Fame" sold over 15 million copies globally (I bought one of them and it is one of the best albums I own.) She has over 1.3 billion combined views of her videos online. On Facebook she has over 47 million likes and she has over 18 million Twitter followers. She has won 5 Grammy awards and has seen a total of 12 Grammy nominations. She has got 2 million Guinness World Records, sold approximately 23 million albums and 64 million singles. She is on Forbes' list of "100 Most Powerful Celebrities in the World" and "100 Most Powerful Women in the World." And those are just a few of her achievements that I found most interesting; there are many more outstanding achievements just from this one lady. 


The thing that I now find increasingly annoying is that whenever another singer tries to be different of even wears a leotard everyone's like "she's trying to be like Lady Gaga." On Natalia Kills' latest single "Kill My Boyfriend" (which is really good by the way, I would recommend listening to it.) lots of people have commented saying that she is trying to be like Lady Gaga. It's like "no." Nobody will ever be the same as Lady Gaga but I think it's silly that people always accuse others of trying. I personally think that Natalia Kills has a lot more class than Lady Gaga but is not quite as outgoing in her style ventures. 


Lady Gaga's music videos are almost as controversial as her style and the music video for Love Game was banned in several countries and the video for Telephone had to be edited so that there was a clean version whereas her video for Judas was also very controversial among Christian groups. Her longest video yet is for Marry the Night which is an amazing 13 minutes 51 seconds long. Below, I have recreated some of her music video styles in these collages. Starting from her first video, Just Dance which was released in 2008. 


Just Dance was Lady Gaga's first major hit that shot to the top of the charts and made her instantly famous. I can vividly remember the day when I first heard of Lady Gaga. I was in my kitchen (I can't remember exactly what I was doing but I was definitely in the kitchen) listening to 4Music (or maybe VIVA which was called TMF back then) and Lily Allen's The Fear had just ended. I had been singing along to the Lily Allen song as it was my favourite song at the time. Suddenly, this new song came on at number one and it was by an artist that I had never heard of before. I contemplated switching channels because I was not very open minded to new music back then. However, I got into it and really enjoyed the song. At the end I had to check who it was sung by. "Lady Gaga" said the screen. "Just another new singer" I thought. Little did I know that she would turn out to be so much more; an icon of my generation. That is why I will never forget my first memory of hearing her song on the TV in my kitchen on that day.










Created on Polyvore. View items here

To see more of Lady Gaga's style and find out what she wore wear regularly head over to this website.

Quotes

"Some women choose to follow men and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you it doesn't love you any more." 



"Trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken but you can still see the crack in that mother fucker's reflection."



"You have to be unique and different and shine in your own way."



"Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it."
"They can't scare me if I scare them first."



"Love is like a brick. You can build a house or sink a dead body."



"Don't ever let a soul in the world tell you you can't be exactly who you are." 



"Do not allow people to dim your shine because they are blinded. Tell them to put on some sunglasses, cuz we were born this way bitch!"



"If you don't have any shadows your not in the light."



"I used to walk down the street like I was a fucking star...I want people to walk around delusional about how great they can be- and then to fight so hard for it everyday that the lie becomes the truth."



"People will always talk so let's give them sumthin' to talk about."



"Live your eyeliner, breathe your lipstick and kill for each other."



"When I wake up in the morning, I feel like any other insecure 24 year-old girl. Then I say, "Bitch, you're Lady Gaga , you get up and walk the walk today."



"I am focused on the work. I am constantly creating. I am a busy girl. I live and breathe my work. I love what I do. I believe in the message. There's no stopping."


I think that the thing that draws me towards Lady Gaga as an inspirational figure is her focus, drive and overall work ethic. All her wise words (see above) relate to this and anyone with a dream can be inspired by them because there is a recurring message that screams, DON'T GIVE UP. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...