Saturday, 8 October 2011

Sex and the City

New York’s four most stylish, ahead of the trend friends, Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda, come together for a big screen version of many a fashionista’s favourite TV programme. Prompt dramatic break-ups, a wedding and of course we cannot forget that drop dead gorgeous Vivienne Westwood dress. There is couture in abundance: see Dior, Oscar de la Renta and Chanel. Everything is styled by the same woman who made Carrie Bradshaw’s wardrobe one of the most desired in the world: Patricia Field. The dresses are more beautiful, the accessories are more attractive and the heels are even farther above the ground than ever before.
Sorry, I couldn't find a dressing gown similar to this one here. I'll keep my eye out for one. Let me know if you find one or have one of your own.
CARRIE. Carrie's style is the boldest and the most outrageous. It reminds me of my own style in some ways. She is not afraid to experiment and has many style successes however, there are a few outfits that I am unsure about. She is into Vogue, again like me, and many of her outfits look they are based around looks from the magazine.
Image source (http://jeunefilleblog.com/blog3/2011/01/10/style-spotlight-on-carrie-bradshaw/)
The one thing I could never understand is why the hell she ends up exchanging the breath taking Vivienne Westwood dress for a suit. People do strange things for love sometimes. My friend came up to me a few days ago and she was like "I spent the whole of lunch time searching Vivienne Westwood wedding dresses on Google images. I don't know much about how I want my wedding but one thing is certain. I have to be wearing Vivienne Westwood!"



CHARLOTTE. My mum said that if she was one of the SATC girls then she would be Charlotte. Of course I was thinking Thank God she didn't say she's be Samantha. Now THAT would be awkward. She is so sweet and lovely. I feel really sorry for her in the second film, especially when she has the argument with Carrie just as Carrie is going off in the lift.

I always imagine her in chic, vintage dresses: nothing too revealing and shapes that are flattering for her body. However, she puts a young, playful twist on her clothes to fit the fun loving side of her personality. This Topshop dress above certainly fits that criteria. The shift dress cut with the nipped waist is perfectly vintage and the black colour is mature but the just above the knee length is young and the bold floral print playful.
Dress, Primark.
The white colour of this dress is grown up but the print is light-hearted yet sophisticated.
Black Print Cage Back Top, £28, River Island

How perfect! This top has an almost identical print to the dress that Miranda is wearing in her first appearance in the SATC film. I went to the new Westfields (in East London next to the Olympic stadium) last weekend. I went with two friends. We spent a considerable amount of time in River Island (as well as Primark, H&M and Hollister!) and I spotted this top. I thought it would look wonderful with the pink skinny jeans that one of my friends was trying on but neither of them liked it very much. I spent a lot of the trip trying to persuade one of my friends to be braver in her outfit ventures but the other friend I went with regularly wears leopard print leggings so I was quite surprised that she was not attracted to this.   

MIRANDA. The business woman shows her softer side near the end of the film when she spots her milk moustache in the mirror. It is the sort of moment where it is near impossible for a girl to go "aww."

This girl can put a seriously stylish twist on office-wear. She is the most trendy lawyer since Legally Blonde's Elle Woods. Her style savvy outfits would intimidate me in court. Woah, that was cheesy! So, basically, Miranda has the stylish working mum look down to a T. Here is my teenage girl work shadow look down to a T. In July I went to work at my dad's office (he works for a law firm.)

Sunglasses, unknown- from my mum. Shirt, H&M. Skirt, New Look. Bag, Ralph Lauren. Casual Rubix Cube and duster just chillin' on the window sill ;)

Boucle Jacket, £329, Elegance
I could not find a yellow boucle jacket so I had to go for this stunning orange one instead.
SAMANTHA. Samantha brings the comedy to this chick flick. I am so jealous at the beginning of SATC2 when she gets with the gorgeous real life model Noah Will who "lays concrete" in the film. Yes, this one:

Yum... Sadly for most of his screen time he is actually in bed with Samantha :'( 

If Samantha's personality was described to an impartial outsider who had never seen nor heard of the TV programme/film then one might assume that Samantha dresses like a birthday cake (everyone gets a piece) or like train tracks (has been laid all around the country)- haha, remember those beauties. If not then check them out here. In the meantime I will tell you that they both are a classier and more amusing way of calling someone a slut. Classier and more amusing? Result. Anyway, back to the point. Actually Samantha is most of time dressed like a sophisticated woman: not a birthday cake or train tracks. However, the second movie proves that at times she can have a problem with dressing for her age.
My Samantha Look:

So, this is the part where I draw the post to a conclusion by mucking up the sensibly written first paragraph in an attempt to make it more entertaining for my readers. This is basically what was going through my mind as I was writing it:

New York’s four most stylish, ahead of the trend friends (hehehe...not for much longer biatches, when I get there, there will be a new group of trendsetters in town) Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda, come together for a big screen version of many a fashionista’s favourite TV programme (I have never actually watched the TV programme but legally I should not have even watched the films and I have heard that the TV show is worse than the film and I do not want to disturb my "innocent" little mind :P). Prompt dramatic break-ups, a wedding and of course we cannot forget that drop dead gorgeous Vivienne Westwood dress (drool). There is couture in abundance: see Dior, Oscar de la Renta and (my personal favourite, of course) Chanel. Everything is styled by the same woman who made Carrie Bradshaw’s wardrobe one of the most desired in the world: Patricia Field. The dresses are more beautiful, the accessories are more attractive and the heels are even farther above the ground than ever before. (YAYAYAYAYAYAY :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment I'll always love you and we can hang out and bake vegan cupcakes and drink tea and listen to sixties records. Go on, you know you want to...